Monday, September 29, 2008

Yoga Pushed through a Crowd...and Got To Me.



This week has been blessed for me.
Two students of mine wrote, very personally, about their practice, and the subsequent fall-out.

It's funny, because when I write *fall-out*, I tend to think of the stock-market bail-out, or nuclear proliferation...all in all, not good...
But these students' *fall-outs* have been quite spectacular. A shift in their mental paradigm, so to speak, towards viewing their lives differently.

They are Happier. More Peaceful. Blissful.

I love Ken Wilbers. He's the man behind Integral Theories. And he's so incredibly clear.

He says that we must continue to practice. That's all. And through practice we, *Let our own presence Be what convinces the World*.

I'll let Laura Stickann (AG office), and Robbie Barnhart (Teen-Yogi) speak now, and let their presence convince you:

Laura Stickann:
If someone had said to me before my first yoga class,"Attending this class will change your life," I wouldn't have believed them. But, it seems hypothetical questions are 20/20 in hindsight in this instance,because yoga has undeniably changed my life and reintroduced spirituality into my life. Furthermore, yoga has helped me to realize that it's okay for me to be who I am, and that it's okay for me to be happy and to seek happiness within myself. My introduction to yoga didn't come about because I was pursing spirituality. I had been trying for some time to get into shape. I worked out at a gym for about a year. I tried pilates. Nothing seemed to work. None of these activities captivated me enough to keep me interested. So, when a friend asked me to accompany her to her weekly yoga class, I decided it was worth a try. I have to admit, the minute I reached the top of the stairs, and took my first step into the studio, I felt like I was in another world: a place where you were greeted with a big, warm smile and treated with kindness and compassion. Instantly I felt at home. The actual classrooms felt seemingly temple-like. A few people sat and talked, but most lay on their mats with their eyes closed, preparing for class. I didn't know it then, but they were taking time to relax their bodies and beginning to focus on their breath in preparation for class. Attention to the breath is a big part of yoga. It's amazing what I've learned from just turning my focus inward and harnessing the power of my breath and in turn, the power of my body and mind. For example, when I'm getting to a point in class when I'm really starting to challenge my body, I remember to breathe deeply and focus on the breath. This allows me to turn away those negative thoughts that are telling me, "you're getting tired" or "you can't do this." When the breath is properly utilized, nine times out of ten, I can, and do, finish the pose. It's that feeling of "I can" that has been one of the most beautiful things about yoga for me; and it has manifested in my day to day life. Since I've been practicing, I no longer doubt my ability to accomplish my goals. I feel that I am capable and worth so much more than I ever believed. For a long time, for many different reasons, I had punished myself for my failures. I didn't have a religion to bear my burdens. I didn't have a God I wanted to confess to. Anytime I made a mistake, I would tell myself how stupid I was. Anytime something went wrong, I immediately blamed myself. It got to a point where I believed that I was stupid; that I just wasn't intelligent. How unfortunate is that? But thankfully, because of my practice of yoga, I've learned to turn those negative thoughts away. It's as simple as breathing. That's how yoga has changed my life. Through yoga, I have realized that every minute of every day is precious, but every minute of every day passes. So, why spend the stress and energy to be unhappy about it? Yoga allows me to be spiritual within myself now. Focusing on me more and beginning to realize my place in this universe has lifted a huge weight from my shoulders. I no longer have to carry around so much frustration and sadness. I can be happy. I hope to practice yoga for the rest of my life and to eventually teach its science to others. I believe that if people loved themselves a little more, they would love each other a little more, and then hopefully this world will be a better place. Namaste.

And from a Teen-Yogi....Robbie Barnhart:
SMYC - Teen Yoga
Yoga. That bendy, stretchy, ow that hurt, and I never knew that was there until it hurt, thing. But what does it mean, what does it matter to study yoga?? Well in all honesty, it is to discover the closest thing to you; yourself.Which is exactly why I attend Teen Yoga at the Show Me Yoga Center downtown. Imagine a place where, upon arrival, all tensions, stresses, judgements, prejudices, and essentially life drains away and you turn the spotlight on the very most important person. YOU!For an hour a week, I travel down a road that is mine in an attempt to figure out what makes me, well, me. It isn't selfish by any means. I challenge myself by exploring different poses that I wouldn't normally try. What is the symbolism of the poses?? Well in a sense one could say that it's a test of physical abilities; however, it's more of a mental dare to say, "I am stronger than I think I am, and I can take this on." I set myself up to achieve more than I thought possible.By getting into one's true self, he has a better understanding of himself, and through that he becomes more efficient in daily life. In the meditation portion of the class, we clear our minds and focus on one thing only. What energy we put out is heard all around the world. It's exactly like the saying, "what goes around, comes around." One thing I've learned through the helpful instruction of wonderful Megan is that our bodies can mold, and we can shape them to however our hearts desire. If we don't like something about ourselves, we have the ability to change whatever that is. And that in itself is a reason to participate in yoga.It opens my heart, it opens my mind; and most importantly it makes me smile when I walk into class, get my props ready, and start letting go of all events, activities, homework, and plans. When I walk out that door, although my legs are wobbly and I feel like a piece of salt water taffy that has been overstretched, I feel like I can take on the world and that nothing can get in my way of being who I want to be.Thanks SMYC and specifically Megan Sappington who makes each class enjoyable and mellow, which is how I want my life to be.


Yoga is like chocolate. You have to try it to get it.


Learning to be okay with who we are isn't easy, and the path can be difficult, but ultimately? We can accept that we are enough. And that, my friends, is where happiness lies.


Try Yoga. At Show Me Yoga Center, we are a Donation-Only Center, meaning you pay what you want to. That's all. We Teach. You Study. No demands, No expectations, No criticism.

Namaste,
Megan Sappington, R.Y.T.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home